If you have a vehicle and you are driving it, you are exposed to the risk of suffering a traffic accident, which is why it is of vital importance how to act if you have suffered an accident and have sustained minor injuries. This type of accident accounts for the highest percentage of accidents on our roads.


Beforehand, we would like to inform you that you do not have the duty to bear the injuries you have suffered as a result of a traffic accident for which you are not responsible. You are therefore entitled to compensation to compensate for the personal injuries you have suffered.



Exchange of information between the parties involved


The first thing you should do when you have an accident with your vehicle, or are hit by a car, is to exchange personal details, vehicle registration numbers and insurance companies with the other party. This would be normal, but up to 4 cases can occur after a traffic accident.


That the parties involved agree


The parties involved agree on what has happened and share their version of events, and this is reflected in the accident report. This must be signed by both parties to be valid, and each party must keep a signed copy.


The parties involved do not agree


In this case, the most advisable thing to do is to call the police so that they can make a police report. The negative side of this situation is that the management of the claim may be delayed, as the insurers must agree on who was at fault.


If no friendly report is made and the police are not called in


If there is no friendly report or police report and there is no understanding between the parties involved, it is obligatory to exchange information so that each party involved reports the accident to their insurance company. 


If the other party involved does not provide us with the data


If the other party does not cooperate in providing us with the information, it is essential that we at least take note of the registration or plate number in order to be able to identify the owner of the vehicle and the insurance company.




In the event that the other party involved does not agree and does not want to provide their details, the correct thing to do is to take note of their number plate so that we can report the accident to the insurance company and identify the vehicle of the other party involved.


Medical assistance


Secondly, it is of vital importance that you receive first medical assistance in any medical centre, within a maximum period of 72 hours from the occurrence of the accident.


Inform the insurance company of the accident


Next, call your insurance company to report the accident, explaining the dynamics of the accident and indicating if there are any injuries. The Insurance Contract Law establishes a period of 7 days to make this notification.


Compensation if there are injuries


Finally, you should know that you have the right to receive free medical treatment to heal your injuries, as well as medical assistance from the corresponding doctor until you are definitively discharged. 


This can be carried out in various clinics of your choice, depending on the proximity to your home. 


Once your injuries are stabilised and you have been discharged, your injuries can be assessed and it is time to claim your compensation.